Google Screened

Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Seek Compensation from Uninsured Motorists

An uninsured driver shouldn’t prevent you from receiving monetary compensation for your injuries

Drivers in Pennsylvania are required to carry car insurance to cover medical bills, vehicle damage and property damage in the case of an accident. But not every driver follows these regulations. When that’s the case, it may feel like you cannot get the money you need to cover your expenses after a crash. The uninsured motorist attorneys at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLChelp you get the money you need, even if the responsible driver lacks proper insurance coverage.

Who is an underinsured motorist?

There are many situations where a driver may qualify as an uninsured or underinsured driver. All of these cases mean that you cannot go through the usual channels to claim compensation, and will need to get damages from your insurance company or the at-fault driver.

  • Driver has no insurance — One in seven drivers on the road does not have car insurance, according to the Insurance Research Council. If you are involved in an accident with one of these drivers, there is no company you can go to for payment
  • Driving someone else’s car — Most insurance policies do not cover other drivers who are not explicitly listed on the policy. In some cases, there may be implied coverage, but it is something an insurance company can easily contest to avoid a successful claim. Likewise, a driver’s existing insurance may not cover them for driving someone else’s car
  • Not enough coverage — Pennsylvania requires drivers to carry at least $15,000 in bodily injury coverage per person, and $30,000 per accident. If a driver has less coverage, it may not be enough to take care of your bills

Seeking compensation in an uninsured motorist accident

In most accidents, getting coverage is a matter of filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance. If the driver was uninsured or underinsured, however, you will need to find alternate sources of payment. These may include:

  • Uninsured motorist coverage — Many car insurance companies offer optional coverage for accidents involving underinsured drivers. In these cases, the insurance company will pay you a pre-determined amount. This is not always fool-proof, however, as your insurance company could determine you were at fault for an accident if it would result in a lower net payout
  • Suing the at-fault driver — If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, you will need to file a claim against the other driver, who may not have enough assets to cover your medical bills. Still, working with an attorney can be helpful to find all possible means of payment in order to get the most compensation for your claim.

Let our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC get the Compensation you Deserve from Uninsured or Underinsured Motorists

If you feel like you’re being short-changed on payment because another driver is underinsured, Philadelphia car accident lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC,  can help make sure you get the money you need to cover medical care, lost income and other losses. Don’t accept anything less than the full compensation you deserve. For a free consultation, call us at 215-569-8488 or 302-888-1221 or contact us online. Our Philadelphia injury lawyers have more than three decades of combined experience aggressively pursuing damages for clients, with a long record of success. We represent clients in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey.