Philadelphia Bicycle Accident Lawyers Pursue Maximum Compensation for Injured Cyclists
Bicycle Accidents Come With Severe Injuries and Loss
Cycling is becoming more and more popular as an activity and a mode of transportation across the country. Unfortunately, that also means that more cyclists are at risk of being in an accident on the road. Accidents involving bicycles often lead to serious and life-threatening injuries. The Philadelphia bicycle accident lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC, understand the impact of these accidents and fight tenaciously for compensations on behalf of accident victims.
Your Rights as a Cyclist in Pennsylvania
As a bicycle rider, you may be bullied after an accident or made to feel like you don’t have the same rights as automobiles on the road. If the other driver or their insurance company tries to make you feel like you’re to blame, it’s important to remember that Title 75 of Pennsylvania law outlines your rights as a cyclist and where you should be able to operate safely on the road:
- General rule — As stated by Pennsylvania Statute: “Every person riding a pedal cycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.”
- Riding on the shoulder — Cyclists are permitted to ride on the shoulder with traffic on major highways and roads.
- Slower than prevailing speeds — Because cyclists move slower than automobile traffic, they are expected to travel in the rightmost lane or a close as possible to the right-hand curb.
- One-way roads — On a one-way street with two or more lanes, a cyclist may also operate on the left side of the road or as close as possible to the left-hand curb.
As long as you obey these basic statutes, you have the same rights as any vehicle on the road. If you are following these rules and another driver causes an accident, you are entitled to compensation for any injuries you sustain.
Common Injuries in Bike Accidents
Because you don’t have a metal cage around you like in a car or truck, accidents on a bicycle can result in more severe injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Back and neck injuries — Being thrown from a bike can also put extreme strains on you back and neck, leading to chronic pain and even paralysis in severe cases
- Broken bones — Getting struck by a vehicle or falling from your bike can result in simple or compound fractures, including rib, arm and leg breaks.
- Death — If a driver doesn’t see a cyclist or maneuvers unsafely, they can run over a rider or hit them at high speeds, resulting in fatal injuries.
- Head injuries — While a helmet can go a long way to protect you, you may still suffer a skull fracture or concussion in a crash.
- Road rash — Cyclists who fall at higher speeds may slide along the pavement, losing exposed skin or getting debris caught under the epidermis, putting them at risk for infection
Contact the Philadelphia Bicycle Accident Lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC if You Have Been Injured in an Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to payment for medical care, lost wages and other hardships. Your compensation should reflect the severity of your injuries, and our experienced Philadelphia bicycle accident lawyers can help you secure that kind of compensation. For a free consultation, call McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC, at 215-569-8488 or 302-888-1221,or contact us online. Our lawyers have more than 26 years of combined experience aggressively pursuing damages for our clients throughout Pennsylvania, including Delaware County and Chester County, Delaware and New Jersey.