Google Screened

Who Is Responsible for Property Damage From a Car Accident?

Contact an Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC for a Free Consultation on Your Property Damage Case

Car accidents are stressful events that can result in serious injuries, but property damage is also a concern. Establishing liability is the basis for determining damages and potential compensation when the latter occurs. How do lawyers learn who is responsible for property damage resulting from a car accident?

Determining liability for property damage in a car accident involves assessing negligence, state laws, evidence, and insurance coverage. In general, the negligent party is responsible for property damage.

Examples of negligence include speeding, running a red light, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. However, liability laws can vary by state, so become familiar with the specific regulations in your jurisdiction.

Insurance coverage also plays a significant role in determining liability for property damage. Most states require drivers to carry liability insurance, which covers property damage and bodily injuries caused by the insured driver. If the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may have to rely on your insurance coverage or pursue legal action to recover damages.

The party responsible for the car accident typically pays for property damage through their auto insurance policy. If the at-fault driver has liability insurance, their insurer may cover the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged property up to the policy’s limits. 

Resolving property damage claims can become complicated when disputed liability or insurance coverage is insufficient. A knowledgeable attorney can help protect your rights and pursue fair compensation for your losses.

What Should I Do After Property Damage Occurs in a Car Accident?

Prompt, appropriate action protects your interests after a car accident. Here are the steps you should take:

  • Contact emergency services: Even if you do not seem injured, call 911 after a car accident. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms immediately, and a medical evaluation can ensure you receive appropriate treatment.
  • Document the scene: Take photographs of the accident scene, including vehicle damage and any relevant road conditions. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other parties involved in the accident.
  • Notify your insurance company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with accurate details of the incident and cooperate fully with their investigation.
  • Consult with an attorney: If you are unsure about your rights or the appropriate course of action, consult with a qualified car accident attorney. They can guide you through the legal process.

What Can I Do If My Insurance Claim Is Denied?

Review your denial letter carefully to understand the reasoning. If you believe the denial is unjustified, you can appeal the decision with your insurance company. Provide additional documentation or evidence that supports your claim, and consider seeking assistance from a legal professional to strengthen your appeal.

If appealing to your insurance company is unsuccessful, you may need to consider alternative options, like negotiating with them or pursuing legal action against the at-fault party. An experienced attorney can evaluate your case, advise you on the best course of action, and represent your interests in court if necessary.

Contact an Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC for a Free Consultation on Your Property Damage Case

For legal assistance with property damage in car accident cases, contact McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC. Our experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers are dedicated to helping clients pursue justice and fair compensation. Call 215-569-8488 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation. Located in Philadelphia and Abington, Pennsylvania, and Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients in the surrounding areas.