If you seek compensation for injuries suffered in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you will want to be sure to maximize any damages you receive as a settlement. After all, if you are taking the time and trouble to pursue a lawsuit against the at-fault driver, you do not want to walk away with whatever their insurance decides to pay you. It is never in the insurance company’s best interest to take care of your needs. They aim to mitigate your claim and pay you the minimum possible amount.
There are ways you can help increase your chances of a higher settlement, including the following:
- Collect evidence. You will need as much evidence as possible to support your claim. Some aspects of a crash such as the weather conditions can change rapidly. If snow and ice contributed to the accident, take photos immediately and save them in a folder dedicated to collecting evidence. You should also take photos of any vehicle damage, property damage, and skid marks on the road.
- Seek medical care as soon as possible. If you think your injuries are not severe enough to see a doctor after the accident, the insurance company or opposing counsel will question why you seek compensation for them. Always see a doctor after an accident to check your injuries and diagnose unnoticed injuries. Mention that you have been in a car accident. This creates another official document.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions and attend all medical appointments for treatment of your injuries. Failure to do this could jeopardize the amount of your settlement. The insurance company will reason that you did not need further medical care and lower their settlement offer.
- Keep a diary of your recovery. Keep detailed notes about not only the cost of your care but also your state of mind each day, how you were feeling physically, and how your daily life was affected by your injuries and medical treatment. The road to recovery can be challenging.
- Talk to an experienced accident lawyer. Most personal injury lawyers offer free consultations, so you will not lose anything by scheduling a meeting to see if your settlement is fair and reasonable. In most cases, working with a lawyer will result in a higher settlement amount.
Contact a Delaware Car Accident Lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC for Help Maximizing Your Claim
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, you need an experienced Delaware car accident lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC. Call us at 302-888-1221 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients in Dover, Newark, and Middletown.