A slip and fall accident in a parking lot is bad enough on its own, but once the injuries start healing, things can take a different turn when the question of liability arises.
Pedestrians can slip and fall in parking lots for different reasons. An individual might fall because they were running instead of walking or because they were not wearing the right kind of shoes. Poor weather conditions can also cause slippery, dangerous surfaces; at other times, people fall because of texting and walking. Negligence from parking lot owners and others also causes these accidents.
A negligent property owner could be liable for a slip and fall, depending on the circumstances, including:
- Debris: Uncleared debris like tree branches and trash create hazards for anyone walking nearby.
- Icy surfaces: Slick and icy parking lot surfaces are common after storms and can make even the most conscientious pedestrians slip and fall. The party responsible for the lot’s maintenance should clear the surfaces promptly to keep everyone safe.
- Missing or damaged handrails: It is easy for people to fall in parking lots when they do not have something solid to hold onto.
- Poor lighting: Parking lots should have sufficient lighting.
- Uneven surfaces: Parking lots often have potholes and cracks.
If the accident happened in an apartment complex parking lot, the landlord could be held accountable for your injuries if they neglected a hazardous condition. The owner might be held responsible for slip and fall accidents in business parking lots.
How Can I Prove Negligence?
To show fault, claimants must prove negligence. This is done by gathering evidence that indicates they were aware or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions. A lawyer can help determine your best legal options.
Contact a Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLCfor Legal Guidance With Your Claim
Pursuing a slip and fall accident case can be complicated because of liability issues and other obstacles. Contact a skilled Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC today if you need help with your slip and fall case. We can fight to protect your rights. Call 215-569-8488 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation. Located in Philadelphia and Abington, Pennsylvania, as well as Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients throughout the surrounding areas.