Slip and fall accidents in retail stores or other public places are more common than many realize. The physical injuries can be severe if a customer trips over debris left in an aisle or slips on a wet floor. If your slip and fall accident was caused by a store owner or employee’s negligent management and property maintenance, the retailer may be liable for your injuries.
Liability for slip and falls can be complex, so it is essential to consult with an experienced premises liability lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. A skilled lawyer can secure the valuable evidence needed to strengthen your claim for damages. Contending with insurance companies and opposing parties without legal representation is daunting and can significantly reduce your chances of a full and fair recovery.
What Are Common Causes of Retail Store Slip and Fall Accidents?
Some numerous unexpected conditions or obstructions can cause a customer to slip and fall in a store. Some of the most common examples of these kinds of accidents include:
- Spilled liquids in walkways and aisles.
- Recently waxed or mopped wet floors.
- Lack of warnings of temporary hazards.
- Stacked boxes and merchandise in aisles.
- Fallen items from shelves in the path of customers.
- Equipment, wires, or other obstructions in walkways.
- Overturned floor mats, broken tiles, and torn carpets.
- Broken handrails, steps, or other damage in stairwells.
- Accumulation of snow and ice in the entranceway.
- Inadequate lighting in the store or parking lot.
Regardless of the cause of a slip and fall, the store’s liability depends on whether it had reasonable notice of the hazardous condition, the opportunity to fix it, and failed to do so. An experienced lawyer can help you gather evidence that shows the store neglected to take proper action to remedy a known hazard.
What Are the Risks of Slip and Falls in Retail Stores?
Anyone who visits a retail store is at risk for a slip and fall accident and injury. Slip and falls can happen in various ways, inside and outside a retail store building. Customers, employees, delivery workers, and other visitors legally on the property may have the right to pursue compensation against the store owner and other liable parties for injuries they suffered due to their negligence.
Slip and fall injuries can be sustained in many areas of a retail store, including:
- Aisles and walkways.
- Customer restrooms.
- Employees-only areas.
- Parking lots.
- Outdoor storage buildings.
What Should I Do After a Retail Store Slip and Fall?
You may be confused after a slip and fall. This can prevent you from understanding what happened. It is natural to feel overwhelmed and want to leave the scene immediately. However, it is essential that you protect your safety and best interests.
Essential steps to take after a retail slip and fall include:
- Seek immediate medical attention. Go to a doctor or ask someone nearby to call 911, even if you do not believe you are hurt. Some severe injuries do not present for hours or days. Keep copies of all your medical records for use in future legal proceedings.
- Notify a store employee. Reporting the slip and fall immediately is critical to your case. It establishes when and where the slip and fall occurred for future injury claims. It also helps to maintain access to crucial witnesses and any video footage of the accident.
- Consult a lawyer. Experiencing any type of injury in a slip and fall accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially stressful. Working with an experienced lawyer who can protect your rights and best interests is important.
Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC Hold Negligent Property Owners Accountable for Retail Store Slip and Fall Accidents
If you have been injured in a retail store slip and fall accident, let our experienced Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC handle your claim. Call us at 215-569-8488 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Philadelphia and Abington, Pennsylvania, as well as Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients throughout the surrounding areas.