Tips for interacting with adjusters and maximizing your compensation
If you’ve been injured in an accident, the last thing you want to do is fight with someone. Unfortunately, when dealing with an insurance company to try and get the money you need, it can often feel like you’re doing battle. Here are some tips to help make your negotiations go smoother and ensure you get the full damages owed to you.
- Never admit fault. If you so much as hint that you may share some blame for an accident, the insurance company has grounds to reduce or reject your claim. Don’t discuss who was to blame for an accident, including agreeing or disagreeing with an adjuster’s assessment.
- Stick to the facts. When explaining the accident and resulting damage, don’t give opinions or assumptions. Just describe what happened as you experienced it. It’s the insurance adjuster’s job to decide fault after hearing the facts, and you don’t want to impact his or her judgment with an errant comment.
- Admit what you can’t remember. If the insurance company asks a question you don’t know the answer to, or there’s a detail you can’t remember, simply say that you can’t remember. Don’t make something up or guess, because if you contradict the facts or change your story later, it looks bad, particularly if you file a claim.
- Only speak to your insurance company. It’s likely that you will be contacted by the other party’s insurance shortly after your accident. Simply direct them to speak to your insurance company or attorney if you have one. Do not give any information about the accident, as they may ask leading questions or try to coerce you to admit fault.
- Hire an attorney if you need to. If you suspect that you are not receiving adequate compensation for your injuries and suffering, or you are simply unsure about how to proceed with your claim, speak with an attorney to discuss your case and go over your options.
McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC: Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Advocate for the Rights of Injured Victims
The Philadelphia car accident lawyers at McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC encourage anyone who has been injured in an automobile accident to contact their Philadelphia offices at 215-569-8488, or 302-888-1221, or online for a free consultation. Their attorneys take an aggressive approach to every case and work closely with their clients through every step of the claims process in order to maximize the compensation.