Google Screened

Frequently Asked Questions About Philadelphia Car Accidents

Getting hurt in a car accident can be a frightening and stressful experience. Often, it’s hard to know what to do or who to talk to. However, the actions you take in the hours and days after an accident could have significant bearing on your ability to recover for your damages in an eventual lawsuit or insurance settlement.

Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions about Philadelphia car accidents:

Should I call the police? You should always call the police if someone is injured or if there is significant property damage. In addition to issuing citations against the at-fault parties, police officers create reports that can serve as valuable evidence later on.

Can I take pictures of the accident? Yes, and you should. Take pictures of the accident scene, the vehicle damage and any relevant road signs. If you are injured, take pictures of your cuts and bruises. If you don’t have a good camera on your phone, it might be smart to buy a disposable camera and keep it in your glove box.

Should I go to the hospital? If you are in pain, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you don’t have any visible external injuries, you could have suffered serious injury to your spine, neck, organs or brain. If you are feeling dizzy or nauseous, that could be a sign of traumatic brain injury.

Should I call a lawyer? It is always a good idea to have a lawyer review your accident and your injuries to help you understand if you have a case. Most Philadelphia personal injury lawyers will not charge a fee for an initial consultation.

Should I talk to the insurance company? File a claim with your insurer as soon as possible after the accident. Do not give a recorded statement about the accident or your injuries until you have spoken with a lawyer, since those statements could later be used against you.

What if the other driver was drunk? Intoxication is very good evidence of negligence. You may also have the ability to bring a claim against the business or individual that provided alcohol to the driver.

What if I didn’t get medical treatment right away? You may still have a case, but it might be harder to prove. It is important that your doctor is able to link your injuries to the auto accident.

What if I was already injured before the accident? Negligent drivers are responsible for new injuries as well as aggravations of preexisting injuries. You will likely still be able to recover, however, you will need medical proof that the accident caused the aggravation.

McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC:  Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Helping Injured Victims Pursue Justice and Compensation

These are just some of the issues that arise in car accident cases. If you have suffered serious injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, talk to a Philadelphia car accident lawyer who can advise you of your options.  Contact McCann Dillon Jaffe & Lamb, LLC today to schedule your free consultation. Call 215-569-8488 or 302-888-1221, or contact us online